For the Decorative, Rare & Unusual
"Those who find beautiful meanings in beautiful things are the cultivated. For these there is hope." – Oscar Wilde
A Handsome Architectural George III Mahogany Linen Press Later Adapted to a Wardrobe c.1780
Period: George IIII
Width: 51.25” at cornice or 46.5” at base
Depth: 27” (all at extremities)
The fine quality solid mahogany carcass in two parts of rather diminutive size, designed with a certain amount of portability in mind being on concealed castors and with the lower chest section having large brass handles to the flanks, the top section having a bold key pattern broken arch architectural pediment above a pair of panel doors enclosing a later adapted hanging space, with one linen slide present, the two lower cockbeaded drawers being oak lined and displaying the original brass drop handles, the whole standing on bracket feet and surviving from George III period England.
The piece has some tarnishes and small knocks commensurate with its age, but the whole has a good colour to the high-grade mahogany and the drawers run smooth with the carcass proving structurally sound. It has been adapted later in its life to be used as a wardrobe with the base of the top section being cut out professionally to the top to allow sufficient fall so that clothes can be hung inside on a later pole. There is still one original linen drawer present, which can be used as a base or as a drawer on one of the other levels to the runners, which are all still present. The top section has an old temperature related crack running to one side, which isn’t affecting the pieces stability. Whilst the doors close and lock comfortably, the door bearing the escutcheon has a slight bow to it to the top. The castors are running well and essentially she is in good country house condition, well looked after in her years, though with some expected deficiencies.
Although this is not a campaign piece (not with that wonderful pediment!) there is certainly something of the campaign to it, what with the large brass handles to the lower chest section, the relative small proportions and with the piece being on concealed castors, all design features that point to a piece of case furniture that was made to be able to be moved around a considerable amount.
A very striking and handsome architectural example lifting it above the rather more staid specimens of the same period; proportion, quality and style all reign supreme here.
Postage & Shipping
- We are pleased to be able to offer free packing, shipping, and insurance on every piece we send to UK mainland. If you live outside this area then feel free to contact us prior to any purchase for a personal shipping quotation – email@example.com. Once we have your specific location we will then be able to provide a quote for you to confirm, before we ship.
- We use Mail Boxes Etc to professionally ship, insure and package our wares over 5kgs. Below this weight we use Royal Mail Special delivery. Next day delivery services are naturally available with both carriers, with a two-day service being the standard.
- All items will be shipped the same day or the next working day, from receiving the order (assuming all credit checks are cleared).
- We will notify you as soon as the item has been shipped with any tracking numbers available.
- If paying by credit card, we can only ship to the billing address of that card. However with some credit card companies you can add extra addresses to your account to enable the shipping to a third party or business address.
- We comprehensively insure all items until the item is received or signed for.
- Please satisfy yourself with any regulations, import tax and duties for the country of destination of your order.
- All items can also be collected from us by request.
- Cheque - Made payable to Doe and Hope. Post to: Doe & Hope. The Onion Barn, 15 High Street, Blunham, Bedfordshire, MK44 3NL.
- Cash - We are happy to accept cash if you decide you wish to collect from us.
N.B. Payment must be made within five days of end of auction, unless agreed with us.
Whether you have a question about one of our pieces, want to visit to view an item, or are after something in particular not in the inventory, then do please contact us. We also have a full and secure external website where you may browse and purchase your wares.
General Information: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about us and the way we do things visit our 'About Us' Page.
Well, hurrah, with highly polished brass knobs on!