Shabby Chic Bureau writing desk dresser French Painted Vintage Antique chateau
Welcome to The Shabby Bear Cottage, where Vintage furniture is lovingly restored to the highest standard.
Welcome to our auction for a stunning Antique Bureau which we believe to be late 19th century.
This item has been lovingly hand painted in Annie Sloan's Old Ochre and finished with 2 coats of soft wax for protection. The base of the bureau is beautiful, there are good sized drawers. All with dovetailing.
The inside of the bureau has lots of storage. It was made with much skill many moons ago.
The whole piece is then finished with its stunning original handles, for a wonderful contrasting effect.
A truly stunning item that will look fantastic in any setting. This item really is one of a kind.
Length : 75cm
Height : 100cm
Depth : 45cm
As with any preloved piece of furniture, you may find some nicks or dents to the woodwork. This is to be expected and we feel only adds to the charm and appeal of the reloved, shabby chic style. As all of our items are lovingly hand painted, brush strokes may be visible, which is again perfectly in keeping with the shabby chic look.
We feel that the days of boring, factory finished, mass produced furniture are over and the era of individual, personal and charming home decor is here to stay! Please also remember - reloved furniture is the Green option! For every piece of reloved furniture purchased - another tree doesn't have to die.....
“Comfort, the beauty of imperfection, the allure of time-worn objects, and the appeal of simple practical living: These are the cornerstones of what has come to be known as the Shabby Chic style.”
~~ Rachel Ashwell, Interior Designer and founder of Shabby Chic (1989) ~~
Our opening hours are Monday - Friday 10.30am - 5.30pm
Our contact number is
If you are having your item shipped, please pay via Bank Transfer if you have the option, as it helps keep our prices low. However, we do accept paypal if needed on items lower than £300.
If you are collecting your item, or are using your own courier, we are unable to accept paypal, however we do accept cash on collection and bank transfer.
We ask for payment to be made within 48 hours of auction end unless otherwise agreed.
We are very happy to store your item for you for £25 per week for up to 4 weeks. We ask that all items requiring storage are paid for in full before storing. We are happy to hold your item for up to 1 week for free, from the date of purchase if agreed beforehand. If you exceed your alloted storage time, we reserve the right to charge extra for storage (unless otherwise agreed) and also reserve the right to dispose of your item should no contact be made within 7 days.
You are welcome to collect any of our items from our warehouse. We are roughly 7 miles, on the outskirts of Exeter.
Our opening hours are Monday - Friday 10.30am - 5pm. Please arrange a time with us prior to collection as we are not always available.
2 Bishops Court Gardens, Clyst St Mary, Exeter, Devon EX5 1DH
Our contact number is 01392 444418, please call should you need directions or have any other queries.
Please send us your contact number upon auction end so that we can contact you to arrange a collection time.
If you would like your item delivered, we are happy to arrange a delivery for you. We have 2 types of delivery availble.
Economy Delivery and Express Delivery
Economy delivery price estimates are below. If you would like an exact quote, please contact us. Please note, we are currently only able to offer delivery to the UK mainland. We are unable to deliver to northern Ireland.
SMALL/MEDIUM ITEMS (1.2m Length/Height or smaller)
Zone 1 : £60
Zone 2 : £80
Zone 3 : £100
LARGE/EXTRA LARGE ITEMS (Above 1.2m Length/Height)
ZONE 1: £80
ZONE 2: £100
ZONE 3: £120
More than one item? Each additional item is 50% less.
EXPRESS DELIVERY £199 within 3 working days to any UK mainland postcode
1) Upon auction end, please send a contact number and we will be in touch to arrange delivery. We shall upload a tracking number once your delivery is booked, and your number and email shall be passed on to the courier.
2) The courier will be intouch once the delivery is booked, although this can take a little while so please allow up to 7 working days for contact to be made. Should you experience any delays, Kathy is just a text or phonecall away to help :)
3) Please contact us with your postcode if you would like an exact quote, or if you reside 200+ miles away from us. We aim to keep delivery as cheap as possible, whilst keeping your item in safe hands.
4) If you pay for your item before 11pm on the Saturday, your order will be booked to be collected on the Tuesday, payments made after this will be collected on the following Tuesday.
5) The courier aims to deliver all of our items within 7 working days, however please allow up to 28 working days for delivery. If you pay via Bank Transfer, your shipping time can be significantly reduced.
6) If you are using this delivery service you are required to be flexible with dates and times. If you agree to a date and time for delivery and are not at home when the courier arrives, the furniture will be returned to us and you will be charged for re-delivery and storage costs. If you reject more than 2 offered delivery slots, we cannot be held responsible for the time it shall take to deliver the item.
7) Please inspect your item thoroughly before signing. Should you experience any problems or have any questions about your delivery, do not hesitate to give us a call. We aim to resolve any issues as quickly as possible.
8) If you pay via paypal, we will only ship to your registered paypal address. Please make sure your address is correct before paying for your item.
9) All items will be wrapped in Black shrink wrap on arrival, this is to protect your item in transit, we have found this to be perfectly adequate for most items, as they are covered in furnitre blankets whilst on the lorry and handled with great care. However, we offer an additional bubblewrap wrapping service for £10 per item should you require.
10) The economy delivery service is a ONE MAN CURBSIDE delivery service, you are required to assist the driver should he need it, with the lifting of the item onto the driveway. Please make your own arrangements to lift the item into your home.
11) Please check the dimensions thouroughly, we cannot be held responsible if the item does not fit into your home for any reason.
12) If you would like the Express delivery option, it will be £199 and garantueed within 3 working days. Please contact us about this service.
In the unlikely and unfortunate event that your item arrives to you damaged -
You are required to inspect the item thouroughly on arrival, please make anyone else who may be recieving the delivery in your absence aware of this. If the item is damaged, you have one of two options
1. Please do not sign for the item and reject the delivery, our couriers have insurance to cover this
2. Sign for the item as DAMAGED on the delivery note. We will be in touch to resolve the issue as quickly as possible.
We are happy to accept returns within 14 days of purchase. Please contact us via text, eBay messages or Facebook to arrange your goods to be returned to us. We are happy to offer a full refund once your item has been returned to us. We cannot accept items that have been tampered with or misused. We are also unable to accept returns on collection items or items where you have used your own courier due to the manner of which items are transported and moved.
When you purchase your item you are agreeing to our Terms & Conditions of sale
Terms of Sale
We cannot take liability for any damage inflicted on the item due to misuse or tampering. In the unlikely event that you do experience any problems with your item, although we cannot offer any warranty on our items due to being pre-loved, we still want to make your shopping experience with us as easy, hassle free and as enjoyable as possible, so we will do all that we can to help. Just give us a call, or send us a message and we will try to respond within 1 hour.
Your item will not have been cleaned, being an antique/vintage item we do not want to change anything, as alot of our customers wish to keep it this way as it adds to its authenticity. We do offer a proffessional cleaning service for all of our items for £10.
Payment must be made within 48 hours unless otherwise agreed. If payment is not made after 48 hours and no agreement has been made, we reserve the right to open an unpaid item case, and cannot be held responsible for delayed shipping times.
If you are unsure about the condition of the item, please get in contact with us prior to bidding. We are happy to arrange a viewing, offer skype calls or send extra photos so that you can asses the item thoroughly for peace of mind. :) As our products are antique and vintage items, some may have had woodworm/bedbugs/other wood living creatures in their lifetime. We do treat all of our items for woodworm and bugs, as we have a warehouse full, we take this very seriously. However, if you are in any doubt we advise that you treat the item accordingly. Please also note we cannot be held responsible for any woodworm/bug damage to your items.
Please note, none of the accessories in the photographs are included in the sale of this item
Please note, the dimensions on all of our listings are approximate. We do try to get the item dimensions as accurate as possible, however due to the items being handcarved, and not particularly square, there will be certain parts of the item that may be larger or smaller than others. For exact measurements, please message us.
Requests for an alternative address can only be accepted if payed by bank transfer. We cannot ship to an alternative address if payment is made via paypal.
If you choose to have your item stored, full payment of the storage time must be paid in full before the storage begins. We are unable to hold items for more than 4 weeks unless otherwise agreed. Should you experience an issue and need your items stored for longer, please contact us. We reserve the right to charge extra for items stored over 4 weeks, and can also dispose of your item if no contact is made within 7 days of your storage duration ending.
We are only able to accept bank transfers on transations totalling over £300.
Please use a suitable vehicle for collecting your items, we recommend an enclosed vehicle with straps to hold the item in place, and furniture blankets to protect during transit. Unfortunately we are unable to accept returns on items that have been collected in any other way than this due to the damage that can be inflicted on the item in transit.
Please note, all of our items are photographed in daylight conditions to give a true representation of colour and tone, however, as monitors and screens vary, so may the colour/tone.
Collection times must be agreed within 48 hours of auction end, anything after this time may mean we are unavailable for your proffered collection slot as we can be quite busy during the week. :)
In the heart of the Devonshire countryside, A small family run business known as The Shabby Bear Cottage specialises in bringing antique and older furniture back to life. With over 10 years experience, and with hundreds of happy customers, we can assure you of our quality. We use a selection of paints that are renouned for their quality and stunning finish. All of our paints are low in VOC's and are environmentally friendly.
We pride ourselves on our own unique style, bringing rare antiques, vintage items and preloved items into a new light, saving the environment one tree at a time, and helping prevent landfill sites.
Our goal is to provide top quality furniture, restored and finished to a professional standard. Afterall, our reputation is what keeps us in business :)
If you would like to ask us about our items, have a specific request, or need further information - please do not hesitate to contact us. You can contact us via ebay messages, or on Facebook (search - Shabby Bear Cottage | Shabby Chic Furniture).
We are based just outside of Exeter, Devon. Viewing is available, however please book an appointment first :)
Our opening hours are Monday - Friday 10.30 -5.30pm.
2 Bishops Court Gardens, Clyst St Mary, Exeter, Devon EX5 1DH
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call us on 01392 444418